It often falls to the Company Secretary to deal with practical and company law issues in relation to Shareholders to act as an intermediary between the Board and the Shareholders, as well as to coordinate the Shareholders’ decision making process. The Shareholders' meeting is a key corporate body in every company. The Shareholders are notably responsible for deciding on general strategy, amendments of articles of association, appointment and removal of Board members, approval of annual accounts, or dissolution of a company. Therefore, ensuring that all Shareholders’ decisions are taken in compliance with the applicable legislation is one of the Company Secretary’s major roles.
Main learning objectives
On successful completion of this module, participants will be able to:
- Identify different shareholders’ rights;
- Prepare and hold a shareholders’ meeting;
- Create and update a share register; and,
- Document a distribution and a transfer of shares.
- Rules applicable to shareholders
- Shareholders’ rights
- Shareholders' meetings
- Voting rights attached to a share
- Holding and convening a meeting
- Shareholders’ decisions
- Quorum and majority requirements
Case study: Preparing and holding an annual general meeting
- Transfer of shares
- Redemption and repurchase of shares
- Pledge over shares
- Recording a pledge in the shares’ register
- Rights attached to the pledged shares
Case study: Holding a share register
- Different types of equity instruments
Case study: Making distribution over shares
Board support personnel, such as current and aspiring Company Secretaries as well as Corporate Officers, including Law Professionals, who support and advise the Board of Directors and Managers, and willing to increase their understanding of corporate governance concepts.
- Venue: Chambre de Commerce, 7 rue Alcide Gasperi, Luxembourg-Kirchberg (parking available at your own expenses)
- Registration fees: 490.00 € for ILA members / 590.00 € for non-members.
The fees are excluding 3% VAT and cover tuition, handouts and coffee break.
- Language: the course is conducted in English
- This course is providing credits in the context of the CPD Program for ILA Certified Directors: 8 hours.
- Registration is available on this webpage, click on "registration form" on the top right corner