The purpose of this specific training is to offer a hands-on experience rather than a theoretical class, and provide Company Secretaries with practical knowledge on accounting and tax reporting, including (i) by monitoring compliance within the scope and extent of accounting and tax reporting obligations, and (ii) by making sense of reports, taking into account the nature and limitations of accounting and financial reporting.
Main learning objectives
Through multiple real-life financial reports for review, analysis and class discussion, participants will be able to:
- Review the key foundations of financial reporting: accounting conventions and principles;
- Understand the key components of financial statements and be aware of their information usefulness; and,
- Implement filing obligations as they relate to accounting and tax reporting so as to monitor compliance.
- Ice-breaker: comparing companies through financial reporting
- Financial reporting & general-purpose financial statements: defining terms & concepts
- Legal & regulatory aspects of accounting, tax & financial reporting
- The components of financial statements and annual report
- The balance sheet: the statement of financial position
- The profit & loss account: the statement of performance
- The cash-flow statement: generation & use of cash
- The other components of financial statements
- The reports associated with financial statements
- A new generation of external reports
Target audienceBoard support personnel, such as current and aspiring Company Secretaries as well as Corporate Officers, including Law Professionals, who support and advise the Board of Directors and Managers, and willing to increase their understanding of corporate governance concepts.
This course is dedicated to Company Secretaries with no significant accounting background. This means that this class is not designed for qualified accountants, chief financial officers, controllers and similar professionals dealing with financial figures on a day-to-day basis.
Practical informationRegistration to the course is currently only possible if you wish to follow the complete certification program. You will find the registration form on the following page: Company Secretaries Certification Program
If there are still places available, registrations to all ILA members and contacts will open on 15 December 2017.