The overall objective of this Masterclass is to help experienced Directors in asset management to develop a mindset which helps them to react to challenging and abnormal situations that they may face from time to time.
During this Masterclass, Directors are faced with challenging crisis situations which test Board cohesion and competence.
The Masterclass is run as a series of case studies reflecting real life examples of crisis situations in a “role play” format.
There will be no perfect solutions offered, but good practices will be identified in debrief discussions.
The case studies are based on the board of a super ManCo located in Luxembourg managing multiple funds across a variety of different asset classes. The case studies are built around the following scenarios:
- Managing market disruption
- Managing difficult related party transactions and conflicts of interest
- Managing major disagreements in investment decisions
- Managing an unusual KYC / AML incident
- Managing an incidence of fraud
- Managing a Cyber Attack and IT security incident
This Masterclass focuses mainly on alternative asset management, taking the perspectives of Alternative Investment Fund Managers (AIFMs) and Management Companies, Alternative Investment Funds (AIFs) and their General Partners.
Format of the program
This course is structured around three boards operating as a team and reacting to external events as they unfold.
One week before the training, participants will receive a pack setting out the overall course context and with certain required pre-read materials. This will be presented and discussed during the Masterclass. On the first day, after an introduction to set the scene, case studies of specific challenging situations will be presented. There will be a further three highly intensive case studies run on the second day.
Each session closes with a feedback and discussion session on the performance of the respective groups with any learning points identified.
Each group will be assigned an instructor/ observer.
The Masterclass is targeted at experienced directors in the general funds community (UCITS, ManCos & AIFs). It builds on previous ILA training programs.Prerequisites:
Typicaly participants may have:
- 5 years of experience acting as a Board member
- Director of an AIF, UCITS, ManCo or conducting officer
- Having attended other ILA trainings or equivalent
- Asset class experience
- Applicable professional skills and experience
A limited number of applications of less experienced people will also be taken into consideration.
- Trainers: leading Luxembourg experts (see details in the attached program)
- Venue: Double Tree by Hilton, 12, rue Jean Engling, L-1466 Dommeldange (parking available)
- Registration fees: 990.00 € for ILA members / 1190.00 € for non-members. The fees are excluding 3% VAT, and cover tuition, handouts, coffee breaks, dinner on the first evening and lunch on the second day
- Language: the course is conducted in English
- This course is providing credits in the context of the CPD Program for ILA Certified Directors (12 hours)
- Registration is available on this page, please click on "registration form" in the upper right corner
- The detailed program is also attached below